Sunday, March 23, 2008

Where Do I Start?

In working with many pre-licensed clinicians, I get the question, "I want to get into private practice, but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?"

My first question to such practitioners is, "How are you letting people know about your desire?"

The fact is there are a lot of resources for new practitioners to help them "break" into private practice. Many State-level organizations, such as California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists (CAMFT) and American Association of Marriage & Family Therapists (AAMFT) have local (county/state) chapters, which meet on a regular basis. Getting involved in chapters allow you the opportunity to network and tell others of your desire as well as get a sense of who you are as a clinician.

Networking is the key. Putting out the word and allowing others will make the transition to private practice easier.

No comments: